|Top 20 Conditions Bowen Therapy Treats|
|Chronic and Acute Pain||Plantar Fasciitis|
|Sciatica||Hormone imbalance & Menopause|
|Low Back Pain||Infertility|
|Neck & Shoulder Spasm||Sleep disorders & stress|
|Hip Misalignment & Pain||Allergies|
|Tendonitis & Muscle Pain||Irritable Bowel Syndrome|
|Carpal Tunnel Syndrome||Cramping and spasm|
Treat Colds & Flu with Homeopathic Medicine
Given our annual concerns about the flu we’re bombarded by news and heightened alerts of the next worst strain to come. Worse, we’re almost certainly going to be exposed to a virus, even with immunizations that have their own risks attached, there’s a real risk of succumbing to the seasonal flu strain. Don’t fear it learn some new ways to deal with it. This article will teach you about using homeopathy for the flu.
Homeopathic medicine is well established as a treatment choice that can be utilized without much cost or effort and you really need to know the “ins and outs” of how to treat your own flu.
Treating flu’s and colds is an important aspect for any homeopath, I have treated these since 1996, it’s an vitally important part of my work to care for those struck down with the flu. I’m going to share with you how I use the most commonly prescribed homeopathic remedies for flu treatment below.
During flu outbreaks calls come with requests for an appropriate flu treatment, the treatments I offer are most often one of a few commonly available homeopathic remedies. These are readily available in most health stores and pharmacies that carry homeopathy. After the prescription and first dose/s it’s essential to follow the response from the remedy. Feedback is given via text, email or a phone call or two till they are back on track. During that time a change of the remedy or dosage is needed or needs to be tweaked as symptoms progress through the stages of recovery. It can mean the difference from being stuck with the flu for a week or more, or getting better in a day or two. This article is intended to provide you the tools to treat you flu with an appropriately chosen homeopathic remedy.
First, what is a homeopathic Remedy?
It is a medicine made from a natural substance that if you ingested a large amount of would cause you to have symptoms of a particular nature. Such as, if you drink too much coffee you become, edgy, irritable, sleepless, sore stomach and dehydrated skin. We’ll choose a remedy for your flu based on the symptoms you exhibit and the symptoms of the remedy will be the closest match we can find. It’s as if we’re going to take a dose of the same problem we already have. If the remedy affects you it is going to promote your body’s vitality to respond more strongly to the symptoms you have and get healthier faster. The homeopathic remedy is like an immunization to the specific problem we have.
Does it matter if it’s the flu or a cold?
No, the symptoms are the main concern and whether the symptoms are caused by a virus. Of course, in the diagnosing of the symptoms you have to consider the wisest choice which is to consult a professionals opinion whenever you are uncertain about your health.
Simple measures for prevention during a flu epidemic include:
- Hand washing, care to not touch eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid sugar, alcohol.
- Rest and relax to recuperate fully each day.
Influenzinum 200 CH is a homeopathic form of the flu vaccine and can be taken daily during a flu epidemic. I recommend you take it through the flu season every 2 weeks and if you are getting the first signs of flu such as, dizzy head, frontal headache, weakness on exertion or loose stool. Take it every few hours.
Oscillococcinum™ is an ‘over the counter’ flu remedy available at most pharmacies and you can take it as above for the prevention of the symptoms. It is not as strong as Influenzinum 200 and so if the flu gets a hold of you look below for the flu remedy you need.
How to take a homeopathic remedy
Usually a remedy is bought in a granule format. Made of sucrose the sugar granule is a carrier for the actual medicine that impregnates into the sugar. The potency (strength) is not as important as the chosen remedy, do not worry about the available strength, any will do. All homeopathic remedies are safe as they are highly diluted and I am going to tell you how to take the remedy safely with these simple rules.
- Take only 1 granule at a time (ignore instructions on packaging).
- Dissolve the granule in your mouth a few minutes away from eating or drinking.
- To test the effectiveness of a remedy, I suggest taking only 3 doses 1 hour apart.
- Do not repeat without evaluating the effect of the remedy taken prior. If you are clear it helped and you’re symptoms that it helped return, repeat.
- Good responses after a remedy can include:
- Slight aggravation lasting no more than an hour
- Symptoms improving
- Bad responses after a remedy can include:
- Aggravation lasting longer than an hour
- Agitation, spiking fever and delirium
- Worsening of your symptoms such as developing cough
- If concerned stop the remedy and seek advice or choose a new remedy based on the newer symptoms
- When purchasing a remedy please use either 30 CH or 200 CH as these tend to be common. – If the remedy was working and stops you can always add a granule to a glass of water, stir vigorously and take 1 tsp. Repeat in this manner if that method worked and you need to repeat.
- When in doubt, wait. The symptoms you have are what define what to do, you just have to pay attention.
The Most Common Homeopathic Flu Treatment Remedies
READ THROUGH THE FOLLOWING 12 REMEDY CHOICES AND LOOK FOR THE BEST MATCH FOR YOUR SYMPTOMS. CHOOSE THE ONE THAT MATCHES YOUR STATE OF MIND AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE ‘AGGRAVATION’ & ‘AMELIORATION’.
Allium cepa – Early and mid stages with RUNNY NOSE
Profuse catarrhal cold, the nose runs continuously, sneezing, irritated chest leading to cough, swollen face.
AGGRAVATION: In the evening, in a warm room.
AMELIORATION: In the open air, in a cold room
Arsenicum album – All stages with ANXIETY
Restless, anxious and insecure with burning dryness and copious watery irritating secretion and the involvement of the conjunctiva are unmistakable indications. Thirsty for sips.
AGGRAVATION: Periodically at night, after midnight (from 1:00 to 2:00 AM), on entering a cold place, from cold food or drinks, from rapid walking, from the use of milk, from cold, and when lying on the affected side, with the head low.
AMELIORATION: From external heat, when moving about, from warmth, from hot drinks, and from hot food.
Baptisia tinctora – Early Stages with DIARRHEA
Flu that strikes the digestive system first, especially with offensive diarrhea.
AGGRAVATION: From mental exertion, from swallowing solids, in a dosed room, and during deep.
AMELIORATION: From drinking liquids, in the open air, and from motion.
Bryonia alba – Mid stages with BRONCHIAL Symptoms
When a person is very grumpy and feels miserable with the flu, wanting only to lie still and be left alone, this remedy is most useful. Headache, muscles ache, deep productive painful cough. Everything feels worse from even the slightest motion. Dry with a thirst for long cold drinks.
AGGRAVATION: At 9:00 PM, by motion, from moving the affected parts, during inspiration, while lying on the painless side, from touch, from warmth, and during summer.
AMELIORATION: While exhaling, while lying on the painful side, by tightly bandaging the affected parts, from pressure, during rest, and from taking cold things.
Causticum – Mid & Late stages with COUGH
This remedy like both Rhus-tox and Eupatorium it has tired, sore, bruised sensation all over the body pains. Loss of voice and soreness in the chest with coughing. Involuntary urination while coughing.
AGGRAVATION: In the evening, in the open air, after drinking coffee, while perspiring, in clear, fine weather, during new moon, from getting wet or bathing, and from coming from the open air into a warm room.
AMELIORATION: From warmth, in damp, wet weather.
Eupatorium perfoliatum – Early Stages with BODY ACHES
This remedy also has soreness and aching of the entire body, hoarseness and cough, with soreness of the larynx and upper respiratory tract. Phlegmy and thirsty. Bone breaking pains are characteristic of the remedy which is good in the early stages of the flu.
Gelsemium semperivens – Early Stage with WEAKNESS
This remedy corresponds to the onset, patient is weak, tired and aches throughout the body. Great apathy. Constant chilliness. Paroxysms of sneezing. It usually relieves the intense aching and muscle soreness.
AGGRAVATION: In damp weather, before a thunderstorm, from emotion or excitement, from bed news, from smoking.
AMELIORATION: From profuse urination, from remaining quiet.
Ipecac – Late stages with MUCOUS
Nausea & vomiting of mucus in large quantities, without relief. Dry spasmodic cough, constricted, asthmatic. Wheezing and anxiety about the stomach. Cough with rattling of mucus in chest when inspiring.
AGGRAVATION: From motion, in winter and dry weather, in warm moist, south winds, from the slightest motion, from stooping, and from over – eating.
AMELIORATION: In the open air.
Phosphorus – Late stages with DEBILITY
Good humor. Symptoms move to the chest. Debility following the flu. Thirsty for COLD drinks, icey drinks and carbonated drinks. Dry barking cough.
AGGRAVATION: Lying on painful side, left side, on back. emotions, talking, touch, odours, light. cold, open air. Salt. Sexual excess. Loss of fluids, sudden change in weather, windy, cold, thunderstorms, lightning. Mental fatigue. Twilight.
AMELIORATION: Eating. Sleep. Cold, food, water, washing face with cold water. Rubbing, magnetic. Sitting. Dark.
Pulsatilla pratensis – Early stages with – THIRSTLESSNESS
Absence of thirst or thirstlessness with nearly all complaints. Dryness of the mouth. Feverish at 6:00 PM. repugnance to food. Needy.
AGGRAVATION: In a warm, closed room, towards evening, from warm things.
AMELIORATION: In the open air, from cold air or cold things, from lying on the painful side, from cold air or cool room, and from cold application.
Rhus toxicodendron – All stages with RESTLESSNESS
Flu’s with severe aching in the bones. Cough is worse evenings and is provoked a tickling behind the upper part of the sternum. Flu comes on after exposure to damp. Aching pains, night restlessness.
AGGRAVATION: During rest, when entering the room from the open air, from getting wet, especially while perspiring, during the night, after midnight, before storms, on beginning to move after quiet, and in wet, rainy, weather.
AMELIORATION: From continued motion, from walking, from change of position, from lying on something hard, from warmth, in dry air, and from warm or hot things, from wrapping up, and from moving the affected parts.
Sabadilla officianallis – Early Stages with SNEEZING
Watch for sneezing and tearing up in the open air. Throat pain is worse on empty swallowing. Chills creeping up the spine is a prominent symptom. Frontal headache, dry mouth, without thirst, worse lying down.
AGGRAVATION: In the fore – noon, before midnight, from cold, while resting, from cold drinks, during new and full moon, and from odours.
AMELIORATION: From motion, while swallowing, while getting warm, from warmth, and from warm food and drink.
Veratrum album – Late stages with COLLAPSE
Complete prostration & collapsed states. Cold perspiration on the forehead with nearly all complaints. Intense and unquenchable thirst for large quantities of very cold water and acidic drinks. Frequent diarrhea, watery, gushing. Excessive Vomiting with nausea and collapse.
AGGRAVATION: From least motion, after drinking, before and during menses, during and after stool, when perspiring, after fright, from exertion, and during pain.
AMELIORATION: By pressure on the vertex (headache), from stimulants, and from walking about.
TRAVEL FIRST AID REMEDIES
For sudden onset of high fever, accompanied by a state of nervousness and anxiety. Fear of flying.
- Location and Nature. – Circulation and bodily temperature and nervous system inducing a feverish, nervous restlessness, generally high temperature, also shivering chilliness.
- Objective. – Red, hot, shining swelling of skin; miliary rash; pulse, strong full, hard, over 100; burning, unquenchable thirst; dry, hoarse loud enough; dry, hot skin, rarely moist; anxious, vivid dreams, waking with a start.
- Causation. – Dry cold; fear, with indignation; anger; fright; chagrin; suppressed perspiration.
- General Characteristic. – Agonized tossing about; feverish nervous restlessness; fear of death; great anxiety of mind, or timidity.
- Aggravation. – Evening and night; warm room.
- Amelioration. – Open air.
BELLADONNA – BELL
For high fever, sudden onset, red flushed face, confused state. Sunstroke.
- Location and Nature. – (illusions, hallucinations, mania, stupor, insomnia; senses intensely acute; throbbing headache; convulsions, iris dilated); (skin intensely red, hot, smooth, shining); (hard, full, bounding pulse; throbbing carotids; red face; high temperature).
- Objective. – Eyes protruding, sparkling, staring look; tongue dry, hot, red, cracked white center with red edges; retention of urine; voice husky and hoarse, dry, spasmodic cough; convulsions; high fever;
- General Characteristic. – Pains come and go suddenly; over – excitability of all senses; sudden appearance and disappearance of symptoms;
- Aggravation. After 3 PM and again after midnight.
- Amelioration. – Wrapped up in a warm room. Resting head.
ALLIUM CEPA – ALL-C
- Location and Nature. – Conjunctiva and respiratory mucous membrane, causing marked irritation like acute catarrh (copious watery acrid discharge from nose and eyes, with constant sneezing, especially on coming into warm room; hacking cough from inhaling cold air; violent catarrhal laryngitis; the hoarse cough seems to split and tear the larynx);
- Objective. – Excessive lachrymation with redness of eyeball; copious acrid coryza; constant sneezing; hacking cough; catarrhal hoarseness;
- Aggravation. – Evening and warm room;
- Amelioration. – Open air;
APIS MELLIFICA – APIS
For bug bites that cause redness,swelling, stinging or burning pain that are better cold applications.
- Location and Nature. – Swelling of both skin and mucous membranes; eruption on skin like urticaria (with stinging, burning pain); mucous membranes, irritation and mild inflammation (burning and stinging pain).
- Objective. – Urticaria like bee stings, or stings from other insects, with intolerable itching at night; nettle rash; large, elevated, white wales; carbuncles with burning stinging pains; eyelids much swollen, red; swelling of face; ulcers on tonsils and palate, breathing and swallowing difficult; legs and feet waxy pale and oedematous; skin unusually white, almost transparent; urine scanty, milky.
- General Characteristic. – Burning stinging pains like bee stings occurring occasionally; sopor interrupted by piercing shrieks; great desire to sleep, extreme sleepiness;
- Aggravation. – Warmth.
- Amelioration. – Cold water.
ARNICA MONTANA – ARN
For injuries; post-surgery; shock of accidents, even when no apparent injury.
- Location and Nature. – Muscular and cellular tissues and tendons, causing conditions similar to results of injuries. A bruised, sore feeling in affected part.
- Causal. – Mechanical trauma, injuries, blows, falls, strains, contusions.
- General Characteristic. – Bruised, sore, wants to lie down, but bed too hard; wishes not to be attended to.
- Aggravation. – Rest.
- Amelioration. – Gentle motion.
ARSENICUM ALBUM (METAL ALBUM) – ARS
For food poisoning, persistent diarrhea with weakness and chills, plus nausea and/or vomiting.
- Nature. – Great anxiety in mental or physical sphere.
- Objective. – Face pale, expressive of agony; evacuations excoriate anus; rapid emaciation; great dyspnoea, asthmatic; pulse quick, weak, small, and irregular; parchment – like dryness of skin; convulsions.
- Causal. – Poisoning by decayed or morbid food and water.
- General Characteristic. – Great fear and anguish; nervous restlessness; sudden sinking of strength; pains, burning (especially in inner organs) faint, anxious and weak early in morning.
- Aggravation. – Night, especially after midnight; cold drinks; cold in general;
- Amelioration. – Warmth; lying with head high; fresh air to head.
BRYONIA ALBA – BRY
Pains. Any pain that is worse for the slightest motion. Appendicitis
- Location and Nature. – Irritated lungs, (sharp, stitching pains; dry concussive cough; cannot bear to move nor take a deep breath); muscles and joints, rheumatic inflammation (sharp stitching pains); digestive (pressure in stomach after eating, as from a stone; desire for large quantities of water).
- Objective. – Slight jaundice; rash over whole body; tongue, thickly coated white; great dryness of mouth, lips and tongue; large, hard, dry stool; urine dark colored; joints red, swollen and stiff; red.
- Causal. – Warm weather after cold days; sour bread and beer; exposure to heat of fire.
- General Characteristic. – Inclined to anger; nausea on sitting up; strength seems to disappear on making least exertion; frontal pressive headache and more severely in occiput.
- Aggravation. – Motion; warm room.
- Amelioration. – Rest; cool air.
CANTHARIS – CANTH
For cystitis, bladder infections, burns and sunburns. Jelly fish stings
- Location and Nature. – Mucous membranes, especially of urinary tract, causing violent (constant urging to urinate, violent cutting, burning in bladder, at neck of bladder, and in urethra, before, during and after urination); skin (burns of any type).
- General Characteristic. – Anxious restlessness, rage; furious almost frenzied delirium; convulsions, with over sensitiveness of all parts;
CARBO VEGETABILIS – CARB-V
Indigestion, gas, heartburn, faintness.
- Objective. – Violent, almost constant eructations; abdomen greatly distended with gas, relieved by passing gas up or down; much offensive flatus; pulse intermittent, thready; lies as if dead; cold surface, especially below knees to feet; cold sweat in face; breath cool;
- Causal. – Putrid meat or fish or rancid fats; exhausting diseases.
- General Characteristic. – Vital forces nearly exhausted; contractive cramp extending into chest, with distention of abdomen.
- Aggravation. – Warm, damp weather; at noon.
CHAMOMILLA – CHAM
Temperemental children. Teething children; nervous, excitable persons. Very sensitive to PAIN.
- 1. Location and Nature. – Irritable, impatient mood; peevish, whining restlessness; slight pain intolerable.
- 2. Objective. – One cheek red, the other pale; child wants things, but refuses when offered them; sour vomiting; lips crack and peel; dry or wheezing, rattling cough; green watery, hot stool, smelling like rotten eggs; child makes itself stiff and bends backwards;
- 3. Causal. – Anger; teething.
- 4. General Characteristic. – Excessive sensitiveness to pain; irritable, peevish; child cries, quiet only when carried.
- 5. Aggravation. – Anger; lying down.
- 6. Amelioration. – Motion.
COCCULUS INDICUS – COCC
Jet-lag and motion sickness
- Objective. – Dizziness and confusion unusual nausea and inclination to vomit while driving, flying or sailing 3. Objective. – Great distention of abdomen;
- Causal. – Motion of carriage, swing, or ship.
- Aggravation. – Any exertion; after sleep; cold air.
EUPHRASIA OFFICINALIS – EUPHR
Inflammation particularly of the eye and lids, catarrhal, mucus, which obscures vision, causing frequent closing and pressing of eyelids together; redness, burning and swelling of margins of lids; burning biting tearing.
- Objective. – Redness and swelling of margins of eyelids; profuse lachrymation, and coryza and hawking of mucus; frequent blinking, shutting eyelids tight together.
- Aggravation. – Evening; in – doors;.
- Amelioration. – Out – doors; after eating.
GLONOINE – GLON
Number 1 remedy for sunstroke
- Flush, congestion, surging of blood (to head).
- Bursting headache, throbbing: worse jar, heat, sun, motion.
- During headache wants pressure – holds head.
- Headache better bending head backwards.
- Averse hats (anything on head).
- Glowing red face.
- Burning between shoulders.
HYPERICUM PERFORATUM – HYPER
Injuries to nerves; pain of nerves; shooting pains, extending pains.
- Fingers in car door, stubbed toe, cracked tooth and inuries to spine.
IPECAC – IP
Nausea and vomiting, there is no amelioration and often a general aggravation from vomiting.
- asthma (or asthmatic bronchitis).
LEDUM PALUSTRE – LED
Puncture wounds, splinters, thorns, scrapes to bare feet
NUX VOMICA – NUX-V
Indigestion from overeating/drinking, irritability, chilliness, constipation. Overly sensitive to: cold, noise.
RHUS TOXICODENDRON – RHUS-T
Sprains, stiffness from walking. Muscle and joint pains are better moving.
- Skin rash, red itching better for bathing in hot water.
Homeopathy and Bowen Therapy for the treatment of chronic disease and or injury are in my opinion tools that should be available to everyone. There are seldom cases where these won’t help.
Both these therapies are often misunderstood because they are poorly explained, I believe they are simple to understand and quite simple to use as well. After practicing for 20 years I have learned so much about the use of these tools and I want to share the information I have to help people manage their health concerns and enjoy life without the stresses of symptoms that aren’t managed by their available treatment options. I hope to open your eyes to a better understanding of these two remarkable medicines.
Homeopathy has been used for over two hundred and fifty years and has continued to survive as a medicine despite the natural scepticism it faces. It is hard for us to understand how medicines that are diluted can treat diseases when normally drugs are used in ever increasing strengths to treat the same symptoms. Homeopathic medicine is not a drug like Tylenol or Paxil, it is a stimulus to our own natural health and vitality. A drug forces its will on our body and a well chosen homeopathic medicine stimulates our body’s own ability to fight and manage disease and pathogens, to control pain and inflammation, to heal and repair as well as recover quickly. It simply turns on our body’s ability to react more strongly and changes the response from proactive and inflammatory to a proactive one where immune response is awakened and recuperation and recovery occur. Homeopaths use information from your own symptoms to decide on a medicine. A homeopath can work for many hours in that process because though there may be several medicines that might influence a positive change it is very important to choose a medicine that affects you on all levels. That is one reason homeopathy is not more popular because it takes time and effort to use effectively.
Bowen therapy is similar in many ways to homeopathy and has been a staple of my practice since I learned it 16 years ago. It is a form of body work that you use for the same sorts of problems that you would use any other form of body. It is unique only because it is so effective and quickly, most clients come to understand the benefit for their problems in 1 or 2 visits and this clear benefit guides both practitioner and patient on the benefits of further treatments. Like homeopathy it stimulates our body’s state of reactive response to injury, pain or disease. It is like a switch that turns off the emergency responses in the body and switches on the de-flammation and healing instead. Bowen Therapy is used ‘head to toe’ for all issues relating to pain and misalignment. Such as, back pain, scoliosis, tendonitis and arthritis. It is also used for treating a wide range of neurological syndromes like migraine, neuralgia, sciatica. It can also help functional symptoms like Asthma, GERD and IBS. The therapy is easy to receive in whatever condition you are in whether received lying on a treatment table or sitting in a chair the therapy can be given painlessly. It is incredibly relaxing as well.
Below is a recent movie trailer that is an investigation about homeopathy: